Sunday, June 26, 2011

Everyone else vacations... we Christians retreat

Just had to throw that in there, but this weekend was less of a retreat than a charge and less of getting a cool drink from a water fountain than getting a cold blast from a fire hose. The last few days my seven sisters and I were on a father/daughter retreat at a little place called Cherokee Cove with a bunch of the dads and gals from our church. It was a fun, refreshing and challenging time for me as we were called to reflect on our relationships not only as dads and daughters, but as sons and daughters of the Savior. Many messages, challenges and powerful testimonies were shared over the course of the weekend, but it was this passage I found in my personal reflection time that stood out to me the most and that I felt I should share with someone... since I couldn't get up the courage to stand up and share it with the group during the last discussion of the retreat. [call it what you will - stage fright, plain old being shy... can't do it.]

I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them,
and I will be their God
and they shall be my people.
Therefore go out from their midst,
and be separate from them, says the Lord,
and touch no unclean thing;
then I will welcome you,
and I will be a father to you,
and you shall be sons and daughters to me,
says the Lord Almighty.
2 Corinthians 6:16b-18 

The God of all the universe, who with a word spoke the sun, moon, and stars into being, desires us for us to be his sons and daughters. The most eternal, holy being, the One who was, and is, and is to come, came to earth just to show how much he loves us and wants to call us his own. What a precious thing! But this perfect, awesome Being also calls us in our journeys as his sons and daughters to become more and more like him, to long to follow after his example and precepts, to strive to show his likeness in everything we do and say. And therein lies my greatest struggle. I am a very content person, which is a good thing when it comes to things like my singleness, my job, and just where God has me in life right now. But it's a huge stumbling block to me when it comes to my relationship with Christ ~ I get comfortable so easily, so quickly, and comfortable is never the place I should be when it should be my desire to be be "conformed to the image of his Son" (Romans 8:29). There's always something in there if I just beg God to show me where I have fallen short, and he "is faithful and just to forgive" (1 John 1:9) and bring me back into a place of safety and peace in his will. Lord, show me today where I can become more like you!


When I climb down the mountain//And get back to my life//I won't settle for ordinary things//Gonna follow you forever//For all of my days//I won't rest//'Til I see you again...

May this be my prayer ~ that as I come down off this physical and spiritual mountaintop I will continue to walk in the paths God has seen fit to show me, not willing to settle for comfortable and ordinary things but striving daily to show the world even a glimpse of the glory that he has shown me.

How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?
Romans 10:14

1 comment:

  1. Praying for your discontent dear daughter and sister!

    ReplyDelete

"A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels." Proverbs 1:5
"How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" Psalm 119:103
I can't wait to hear what you have to say to me, whether it be words of wisdom or some sweet honey of encouragement. But if it isn't either of those, please be respectful and keep your thoughts to yourself.