Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Class Assignment: Passage in a paratactical style

Assignment: Write a 200-word descriptive passage in a paratactical style.

I had just come home from school and it was dark outside. I walked down the driveway toward the house and the lights came on. There was a crack that I did not see and I tripped and stumbled onto the grass beside the concrete. The cat was sitting in front of the door. The garage smelled musty and was full of boxes and bicycles and coats and shoes lay scattered about leaving almost no surface clear. There was light coming from under the door and I could hear laughing and rattling dishes. I opened the door and set down my backpack beside the garbage can. My little sister ran to me and I gave her a hug. Bread was baking in the oven and my parents were playing cards and two sisters washed and dried the dishes, chattering and arguing faster than they scrubbed. The dog was at the door barking at the invisible intruder behind it. I picked up my baby brother, he laughed and I shuffled over to the couch and sat down and sighed happily. It was good to be home.

2 comments:

  1. Awwwwwww!!! Is that what it's like every time you come home? So cool.

    I'm about to go look up the word "paratactical" now, but I like reading your different assignment styles and then trying to deduce what defines those particular styles. I'm guessing now that paratactical style means using facts alone (statements devoid of adjectives) to tell a story or make a point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I wish. it's been slightly altered; bread is usually baked in the morning here and my parents rarely have time to play cards together ;) this is sort of the 'basic outline' of my return home every night.

    well, the style is actually fairly complicated ~ and I haven't mastered it by any means! this link (http://grammar.about.com/od/pq/g/parataxisterm.htm) has a fairly good explanation. the point of exploring all these styles is so we can hopefully draw on them in our projects.

    ReplyDelete

"A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels." Proverbs 1:5
"How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" Psalm 119:103
I can't wait to hear what you have to say to me, whether it be words of wisdom or some sweet honey of encouragement. But if it isn't either of those, please be respectful and keep your thoughts to yourself.