Monday, February 21, 2011

Class Assignment: Passages in a verbal style

Assignment: Develop two 200-word passages in a verbal style; one for conjectural stasis, the other for the definitional.

Conjectural: My big toe glows a bright red, throbs with a gentle pulse, slowly oozes fluid. Sparks of pain scramble up my leg and take a passing stab at my knee. I swallow tears of pain; it wouldn't do to cry after biting back my initial yelp. Clutching my foot for a moment or two while hopping along, I decide it would be faster (although I'll probably regret the pain) to drop it and hobble back to my room. Tossing a fierce glare backwards at the offending bench, I limp a few more steps before I sink pathetically down on the grass lining the walkway and moan a couple times. So what if I'm fishing for some sympathy. I deserve it. Ripping off my flip flops and tossing them several feet away and resolving to take revenge on the genius who stuck a bench where I could so easily injure myself, I have just about reached the end of my rope. Then my bag chirps. I discover delightedly that I have received a text, and, typing furiously, strive to get back into the groove of my conversation - the one that had just been so rudely interrupted.

Definitional: Time to assess the damages. The first shock is past, I am firmly and comfortably settled beside the bustling walkway (and yes, plenty of people are staring); this toe needs some attention. Peering closer, I shudder to discover copious amounts of shredded skin that's lined with crunchy gravel, and those nasty little bits are gnawing at the raw pinkness underneath. I poke gingerly at a not-quite-so-pink spot and wince, squeak, and peer around to see if that got me any attention. Attempt one: failed. This is gonna hurt. Pulling out my water bottle and a tissue, I make the necessary preparations for my invasion of raw, pink, squeal-inducing territory, then dab cautiously at the wound's edge. Squeal two: successful. On a stubbed-toe scale of one to ten, this one is definitely a twelve. But I still have a war to win. I squirt more water onto the soggy tissue, close my eyes, and steel myself for the painfully inevitable. And then I take a swipe.

1 comment:

"A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels." Proverbs 1:5
"How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" Psalm 119:103
I can't wait to hear what you have to say to me, whether it be words of wisdom or some sweet honey of encouragement. But if it isn't either of those, please be respectful and keep your thoughts to yourself.